Women in Prison provide dedicated Housing Support in London for women who are:
- serving a short sentence, or about to be released from custody,
- on a community sentence,
- or women released from custody and returning to London.
For women currently in prison
We do not have properties available, but we do offer support, advocacy, advice and assistance on a range of housing issues, including:
- Letting go of a tenancy, or finding out how to keep one whilst in prison
- Dealing with rent arrears
- Benefits and the Universal Credit System
- Planning for release, and information on resettlement
If you are returning to London, we provide a Through the Gate service where we can meet you at the prison gate when you are released, go to appointments with you on the day of your release, and help settle you back into the community.
In the community
Once back in the community (or for clients serving community sentences), we can help you to:
- Access housing
- Provide advocacy at Homeless Person Unit appointments, making homeless applications
- Link in with community support organizations
- Register with a GP
- Access benefits and manage your money
- Stay in touch with organizations that can help you get settled
Contact us on our Freephone Advice Line.
You can also contact the Shelter helpline free on 0808 800 4444 (open 8am to midnight, 7 days a week).